Monday, November 26, 2012

Missy



I love reading all the posts people make on Facebook during the month of November where they tell things for which they're thankful. I think a lot of people lose sight of all the positives in their lives, only focusing on the negative, so for me these posts are like a ray of sunshine.

I have a lot to be thankful for and even with all the drama that finds it's way into our lives I try to never lose sight of the good.   I'm blessed beyond belief and so thankful for my children Brandi and DJ, my husband Milton and my precious granddaughter Bella.  I have wonderful parents (Burford, Joyce, Jim and Kay) and awesome siblings: Kelly, Jimmy (Oakley), Robin, Karen, Laura, Missy, Jimmy (Parrott) and Charlie.  That's right folks, I have 8 siblings - and yes, two of my brothers (and one of my fathers) are named Jimmy (well actually James and Jimmy, but I digress)  All of my brothers and sisters are wonderful, thoughtful people whose hearts are full of love and kindness. Any of them would - and have - stopped whatever they're doing to run to the aid of another family member...but nobody...and I do mean NOBODY has shown the depth of devotion for her sibling that my sister Missy has.

On March 9, 2010 my brother Jimmy (pictured above with Missy) was admitted to the hospital with what he believed to be bronchitis. Unfortunately the urgent care doc he'd seen had misdiagnosed him and he actually had a bad case of double pneumonia....I'm talking REALLY BAD...so bad that it almost killed him several times.

The small county hospital he originally went to immediately transported him to a large hospital in St. Louis and upon his arrival there he had a seizure and stopped breathing.  It's a long and heart breaking saga, he was put on a ventilator and was in a coma for a very long time.  He developed every complication you could imagine; his lungs collapsed several times, he contracted the MRSA virus, he developed a yeast infection in his blood, he went into kidney failure, and there was more...much, much more.

My family and I basically lived at the hospital for the first few weeks, but eventually my brother Charlie and I had to go back to work and my sister Missy stepped up to the plate.  For months she and Mom Parrott sat by Jimmy's bedside, nursing him back from the brink of death.  Missy educated herself on Jimmy's conditions and became a walking, talking encyclopedia of information, medications and treatment options.  She hunted down the best rehab center and got Jimmy a bed there, she fought with insurance companies, doctors, whoever she had to go up against to make sure that Jimmy got the best care available...and almost three years later she's still caring for Jimmy.

My brother is better, a lot better actually, but he's still not well.  There have been many hospitalizations over the last (almost) three years and she's been there every time. She and Mom P give Jimmy around the clock care and it's because of them that Jimmy is alive today.

A lot of people say they'd do anything for their brother but I wonder if the unthinkable happened how many actually would. Missy gave up her life, her job, her freedom...EVERYTHING...to care for our brother. For 2 years 8 months and 15 days her sole focus has been Hobb's continued care and recovery. She is personally responsible for every major improvement for him...and she continues this commitment - without hesitation - indefinitely.

So this month...and every day of every month, I'm thankful for my little sister Missy. She is a loving warrior and I want to be just like her when I grow up.

I love you Missy



No comments:

Post a Comment